We drew on our extensive poultry facility experience to deliver this new hatchery, which replaced an ageing facility and allows for ease of future expansion.
- Sector Food & Beverage
- Client Darwalla Milling/Darwalla Poultry Distributors
- Location Allora QLD
- Value $14.3M
- Contract Design & Construct
- Download Project Sheet
Situated on 11.6 hectares, the facility is built to the highest specification for a hatchery in Australia.
Our specialist team worked closely with the client to integrate their unique equipment into the design. We also provided tailored design solutions to enhance the supply of water, gas and compressed air; a major benefit to an operation which cannot afford its essential services to be compromised.
The lack of a sewer main meant the waste stream had to be irrigated, so our team recommended and implemented a ‘filter screen’ – a highly water-efficient system that removes solids from the waste stream. The high quality of irrigated water supplied by this purpose-built waste management system also gave excellent support for EPA requirements.
With vastly improved production efficiency, the new hatchery is able to process up to 800,000 chicks per week.
Click on the links below to read media coverage of the Darwalla Hatchery opening:
- Darwalla commissions new Allora Hatchery – Poultry Digest
- Inside the Southern Downs brand new hatchery – Warwick Daily News
- Expansion possible as Allora development opens – Warwick Daily News
- Petersime incubators ‘best fit’ for world class Allora hatchery – Petersime
This project won the Industrial Building Over $5m category at the 2018 MBA QLD Housing & Construction Awards (Downs & Western).